Will I get sick from eating moldy food (bread or cereal)?

ANSWER: Probably not

I have no personal experience eating moldy food. However, I have heard many stories from frantic people who accidentally ate something moldy or who feed something moldy to their children. Usually it was moldy bread or cereal, and no one got sick. This doesn't mean that YOU DEFINITELY won't get sick. But you have a good chance of being perfectly fine. If you are worried, you can call this poison control hotline 24 hours a day. If you have a story about eating moldy food and got sick or didn't get sick, please send it to me so I can post it here. phd.annie at gmail.com
--Annie Pryor, Ph.D.

VIEWER STORIES

I have eaten moldy bread before with no side effects whatsoever! I even ate it on accident while I was pregnant and was just fine! 
--Mary

My husband ate a sandwich over the weekend with moldy bread. He had no clue until I pointed out that the bread was green! He was fine.
--Jennifer

I ate a TON of mold on shredded wheat cereal that I ate in the dark once. I mean, it was a crazy amount of it and I was fine.
--Michelle

I have eaten slices of toast with mould on them and was fine. 
--Susie

I accidentally ate some moldy blueberry dessert this summer and was fine.
--Erica






Comments